hours before losing a marathon to Joao Sousa 7-6 (6), 3

in Tomahawk 16.09.2019 08:17
von Dogcat250 • 1.150 Beiträge

NEW YORK -- Canadas Frank Dancevic fought for more than three and a half hours before losing a marathon to Joao Sousa 7-6 (6), 3-6, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (2) to exit in his opening match at the U.S. Open on Wednesday. It was the first five-set match for the Niagara Falls, Ont. native since 2011 Wimbledon. "It was a heartbreaker, its tough losing matches like that," said Dancevic, who played with a new racquet model for the first time during the match, "It could have gone either way. It was one of those that came down to a few points." Portugals Sousa, ranked 38th, finally moved into the second round in the final-set tiebreaker, as he smashed back a weak Dancevic defensive lob to secure the win. An exhausted Dancevic, ranked 135th, finished the battle with 50 winners and 51 unforced errors, pounding down 17 aces and converting on four of 14 break chances. "When I was down 5-2 in the fifth set it looked like he was getting tight when he served for it at 5-3. I got back into the match but not quite enough. "We played really good tennis. Its unfortunate that I lost, but I feel really good about my game. ... I feel good physically. If I keep this level up I can do some damage the rest of the year." The Dancevic defeat leaves fifth seed Milos Raonic, from Thornhill, Ont., as the last Canadian left in the mens competition. Wimbledon finalist and seventh seed Eugenie Bouchard, from Westmount, Que., is into the second round in the womens draw. Dancevic had chances to seize the early lead at the end of the opening set, when he found himself with five set points. But Sousa chipped away at the deficit to eventually win it. The 29-year-old stepped up his game to claim the second set, but then lost the third to trail two sets to one. In the fourth, Dancevic regained the momentum -- losing a break for 4-4 but getting it back a game later to lead 5-4. He squared the match at two sets each with a backhand pass. The fifth set provided the most dramatics as Dancevic fought back from down 2-5, forcing another tiebreaker. But luck ran out for the Canadian as Sousa found a finishing burst to advance. Dancevic said that he had to modify his strategy during the match as he had only two frames of the new racquet at his disposal. "I made the chance a few days ago, I think I played exceptionally well considering it was a new racquet and completely new strings. For me its a whole new approach to the game. "Ive trained well with it but I was unsure in some key moments. I like it though and will stick with it until the end of the year." Chris Conley Jaguars Jersey . - Mark Sanchez found out the New York Jets had acquired Tim Tebow on a conference call with team management. Yannick Ngakoue Womens Jersey . McCutchen hit his first home run in over a month, doubled twice and scored two runs to help the Pirates beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 on Sunday and take three of four from the defending NL West champions. http://www.officialjacksonvillejaguarspro.com/Jalen-ramsey-jaguars-jersey/ . -- Pinch-runner Rajai Daviss decision to steal third base just as Oakland catcher Derek Norris was throwing the ball back to the pitcher caught most everyone by surprise -- including several of his Detroit teammates. Josh Allen Womens Jersey . Brandon Morrow allowed five runs on six hits over three innings. He struck out two, walked one and hit a batter. Edwin Encarnacion had a two-out, bases loaded two-RBI double in the third inning. Josh Oliver Jersey .C. - The Panthers will be without starting defensive tackle Star Lotulelei for Saturday nights NFC divisional playoff game against Seattle after undergoing surgery Wednesday to repair a broken bone in his foot. OAKLAND, Calif. -- Now that hes a key part of the Athletics starting rotation, Drew Pomeranz has tried to maintain the same aggressive approach on the mound that he had coming out of the bullpen. Its turned out better than anyone could have hoped for so far. Making his second start of the season after replacing Dan Straily as Oaklands fourth starter, Pomeranz and three relievers combined on a four-hit shut out as the As beat the Chicago White Sox 9-0 on Tuesday night for their sixth consecutive win. "Thats that mentality, Im kind of just trying to go right after people," Pomeranz said. "Thats what I was doing out of the bullpen and I had success doing that. I dont see any reason to change that." Pomeranz (3-1) went five shutout innings in his first start on May 7 and matched that with another stellar five-inning outing against Chicago. The Athletics left-hander struck out a career-high eight, walked two and gave up just three hits -- all singles. "Thats a tough lineup to navigate through," As manager Bob Melvin said. "He strikes out the first three hitters of the game, sets the tone, and then the offence was terrific across the board." Brandon Moss homered twice and drove in five runs, Josh Reddick also homered while Yoenis Cespedes added two hits and scored twice to anchor a shuffled Oakland lineup that had catcher John Jaso batting leadoff for just the fourth time this season. Jaso had three hits and scored twice. The White Sox lost their fourth straight. "Guys swung through some pitches and (Pomeranz) pounded the strike zone," Chicago manager Robin Venture said. "We got outplayed all the way around. Nothing went right." Oakland improved to 25-15, matching its best record after 40 games since 2003. The As won their second straight over the White Sox in much the same fashion theyve put together the second-best record in the AL -- strong starting pitching and plenty of offence. Pomeranz, who replaced Dan Straily in the As rotation after Straily was optioned to the minors, blanked the White Sox through five innings and allowed only two runners to reach second base.dddddddddddd. He struck out the side twice and fanned leadoff hitter Marcus Semien three times. Dan Otero pitched two innings, Fernando Abad worked the eighth and Joe Savery handled the ninth to complete the four-hitter. That continued a stellar streak by Oakland starting pitchers. Over a six-game stretch that began when Pomeranz helped blank the Seattle Mariners, As starters are 5-0 with a 1.13 ERA. "I think we feed off of each other," Pomeranz said. "You want to keep it going. You dont want to be the guy that doesnt pitch well." The offence has been just as sharp. The As matched their season-high with 17 hits and had at least three home runs for the fourth time this season. Reddick hit a two-run home run as part of the As four-run fifth while Moss had a two-run shot in the sixth and another two-run homer in the eighth. Eight of Oaklands nine starters had at least one hit. Reddick, Moss, Cespedes, Jed Lowrie and Craig Gentry had two apiece. The As jumped on Chicago starter Scott Carroll (1-3) early then held on behind Pomeranz and the bullpen. "(Carroll) was mixing his pitches but when youre throwing a lot of strikes (hitters) can be aggressive with pitches in the zone," Moss said. "Thats what our guys were doing. Those kind of nights are fun four everybody." NOTES: 3B Josh Donaldson was given the day off by Oakland manager Bob Melvin. ... As LHP Eric OFlaherty threw 25 pitches in the latest step on his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Trainers allowed OFlaherty to throw breaking balls for the first time since having the surgery. ... RHP Ryan Cook (forearm strain) is pain-free but has yet to resume throwing. ... Chicago LHP Chris Sale, on the disabled list since April 22 with a left flexor strain, will make his first rehab start Thursday for Triple-A Charlotte. ... RHP Andre Rienzo (3-0) starts the series finale for the White Sox in his first career appearance against the Athletics. LHP Tommy Milone (1-3) goes for Oakland. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher
1 Mitglied und 4 Gäste sind Online:
Shefnogi

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: jaillweid39
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 9482 Themen und 17029 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen